Category: Muscle building
Anabolic steroids have several different names. Chemical names (and their respective trade names) include oxymotholone (Anadrol), methandrostenolone (Dianobol), stanozolol (Winstrol) and nandrolone decanoate (Deca-Durabolin).
- Anabolic steroids are synthetic forms of the male hormone testosterone. There are more than 100 kinds of anabolic steroids which are used in body building as well as in gender reassignment and the treatment of certain sexual dysfunctions. The muscle-building effects of anabolic steroids make them appealing to athletes and body builders, or individuals concerned about their body image.
- Anabolic steroids come in the form of tablets, capsules, a solution for injection and a cream or gel to rub into the skin.
*Reactions and experiences may vary dramatically from person to person.*
Effects on brain:
- Coming soon
- Coming soon
Effects on body:
- Possible immediate effects include vomiting, gastric irritation, fluid retention and trembling, particularly when high doses are taken orally.
- Possible long term effects with high doses include increased body mass and muscle, growth of bone, increased appetite, body hair growth, deepening of voice, reduced fertility in both men and women, feminization of males (developing breasts, testicles shrinking), masculinization of females (reduction in breast size, loss of hair, changes or cessation of menstrual cycle), stunted growth in teens, enlargement of the heart, abnormalities in the heart, blood clots, high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, heart failure, hepatitis and liver enlargement.
Effects on behaviour:
- Possible immediate effects include euphoria, hostility, increased energy, feelings of power, irritability, anxiety, aggression, mood swings, manic symptoms and paranoia.
- Possible long-term effects include negative personality changes, aggression, violence, manic behaviour and depression.
Addiction: Both psychological and physical dependency can occur.
Tolerance: Tolerance to the effects of anabolic steroids does not develop.
Withdrawal Symptoms: Withdrawal symptoms include cravings for more steroids, mood swings, fatigue, restlessness, depression, insomnia, loss of appetite and reduced sex drive. Depression can last up to a year after steroid use is stopped.
*Disclaimer! Nothing you do can make using steroids completely safe. All drug use has inherent risks and dangers. The suggestions in this section can only help you reduce some of the associated risks. The best way to avoid the harms related to drug use is to not take the drug at all.*
- Having anabolic steroids for the purposes of trafficking, importing or exporting is illegal under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, however possession for personal use is not likely to result in criminal charges (although other consequences may result, such as being removed from sports teams or leagues).
- Drug use affects the developing mind and body differently than developed ones. Waiting until your mind and body have more fully developed before using substances can have long term health and mental benefits.
- Avoid sharing equipment (straws, syringes, spoons) since this could lead to transmission of Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV
- When injecting, use new, clean syringes and equipment. Prepare your shot on a clean surface. Clean the area you are planning to inject with soap and water or an alcohol pad. You can get clean injection supplies from a syringe exchange, a pharmacy, or your local health department.
- Regular injection can cause abscesses, collapsed veins, infections and other complications.